Friday, June 06, 2008

TD 195.P4

It seems that one (or maybe many) of the cataloguers at MUN has an obsession with the classification number 'TD 195.P4.' At least one person is willing to use this number for all kinds of documents that are related to Hibernia or aspects of the offshore oil industry, whether or not they related directly to 'Environmental effects of industries and plants.' My reading of the schedules would cause me to be of the opinion that it should only be used for items dealing with matters related to the 'environmental effects' of the petroleum industry, rather than as a catch-all class.

The problem, or frustration, is that that while copy-cataloging I then have to go back and re-classify the document in question. Typically, in line with my own personal preferences, I end up putting many of these documents in 'HD 9574 N4.'

No comments: