Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 189

-I awoke this morning to find that I was in the midst of another fine day. Just like the recent past, things have been sunny and warm (but not hot). Hopefully this means that things have finally turned around and that the overcast skies of late May and early June are done with.

-Yesterday I received a notice from the IRS that my economic stimulus cheque is on the way. Today when I arrived home from work I found that it had arrived. Unfortunately, I may have to use the money to pay my tuition fees rather than stimulate the US economy. Maybe if they keep giving these out I will eventually be able to spend on in the US.

-Just before sunset I realized that it would be a great time to ride my unicycle. All that I needed to do to get the machine road-ready was to add air to the tires. Amazingly, I don't seem to have lost much riding ability in the off season. Unfortunately, I still don't seem to be able to idle or ride backwards (skills that I will try to work on later this summer). In total I probably rode a kilometer or two (which is a nice distance when one is just getting back in the saddle).

Later in the evening, once I realized that my mother would have the car for a good chunk of time, I decided to get my bike out and ride to the grocery store. Just like with the unicycle, the only maintenance that was required was the addition of air to the tires (something that was quickly dealt with). Soon enough I was making my way on the largely up-hill trip to the grocery store.

Hopefully my riding of both wheeled-machines will continue. Eventually I would like to be able to ride out to Cowan Heights without too much effort (but this might be a ways off as I don't know when I will have the time to practice).

-We had an ultimate game tonight. The final score was 15-2. We were slaughtered, and in no way aided by my consistently poor play.

-Frequently on my way to work I stop for a coffee, which I then drink as I continue my walk. While it is common for me to find a number of people in line ahead of me, the lines tend to be of manageable lengths and move quickly. Even lines extending past the entrance and out into the lobby can be dealt with in only a few minutes.

Though I hadn't seen a particularly long line at this coffee shop for the past number of weeks I was looking forward to witnessing one again, if only so I could watch the skill with which members of the line were processed. It seems that I got my wish the morning. The line extended well into the lobby (but not as far as I have seen it on occasion).

Something that I noticed almost as soon as I entered the line was that it seemed to be comprised of one-off customers as opposed to regulars. The result of such a line composition is that the staff can't pre-pour/prepare a regular order as they normally can.

-Today while cataloging I read that Snow Crab should really be called Queen crab. The report went on to suggest that the name Snow crab was only used in the marketing of the product.

A related report stated that both Iceland and Giant scallops are harvested off the coast of Newfoundland.

-Yesterday, while at work I noticed that there seemed to be a fair amount of dried grass under and around my desk and chair. At first this really baffled me because there didn't seem to be too much dried grass in the other parts of the library. Eventually I reached the conclusion that I must be picking up the grass on my walk to work as cross a dew soaked field and then depositing the grass as my shoes dry while I sit at my desk. As I find the presence of this grass somewhat embarrassing I may have to make an effort to dislodge the grass from my shoes before I enter the building.

-Because of my sister's successful completion of grade 7 we went out for dinner tonight. The restaurant that was selected for the occasion was Tangled Up in Blue. The restaurant serves dishes based on Australian cuisine and happens to be owned by a woman that was in my elementary school class. The experience and food were quite pleasant. As other reviews have suggested, the coffee and deserts seemed to be particular strengths.

No comments: