Saturday, June 28, 2008

Needed Maintenance

Yesterday I learned that my friend has a new blog. My guess is that this blog will primarily document her experiences in Laos over the coming year, and then, presumably, her life thereafter (if she decides to keep it going).

Anyway, this got me thinking about the various things (mainly links) that are on this blog. It seemed reasonable to include a link to Nicole's blog, as well as tidying up a few of the links that Neil and I haven't really thought about for some period of time (basically since we put them up many months ago).

So this morning I finally tidied things up a little. A few of the broken links, or site that are no longer updated, have been removed, and a few that I do regularly check have been added. Also, I finally ditched the Library Thing widget that I hadn't updated in about a year.

Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to add a few more, and possibly a little structure, to the links that we do provide in the sidebar of the blog (as I know many people use this site to satisfy a range of information needs).

2 comments:

Neil said...

I cleaned up some sites that others had taken over a while ago.

Does Google Analytics tell us if someone follows a link from our blog?

Cameron said...

Yes, semi-frequent clean-ups are necessary.

I think that we should be able to tell how people leave our blog, but I am not sure if we can tell by which link (but I can try to look into that as it is possible). I know that we can find our internal traffic patterns (meaning how people move around the site and its pages, though on a group rather than individual level).

Via the standard google search interface we can find how many people link to our page (if I recall this isn't a particularly high number).