Monday, December 18, 2006

De Square

So far I have spent most of my day just lounging around, though I have had to make two trips over to the Square* to pick up a few things.

My first trip over was to pick up a things to read along with a coffee. I first stopped by Bennington gate and looked for a copy of Zeugma, a local periodical, which I ended up finding in the periodical section. I was a little disappointed, but not really surprised, to see that the price had jumped from $5 an issue to $8. While in the store I was also able to pick up two free local papers, the Current and the Scope.

After finishing my errands at the bookstore I decided to walk to through the basement of this building, which would take me to an exit nearer to my next destination. As I was passing by a few stores I noticed that the liquor store did not seem to be open. I went to investigate. When I was a bit closer I could see that it was not just temporarily closed, but permanently closed. It seems that the have moved to a more inconvenient, larger location in a misguided attempt to provide better service. The move seems to have happened in early December, on wonders why they didn’t have the opening and closing date overlap so that they would have an extra store open at their busiest time?

The next stop was Monty’s, to pick up my paper. I think that the cashier may have recognized me but my longer hair and shoddy attempt at a beard may have thrown her.

My next stop required that I backtrack a bit and stop in at a famous Canadian coffee and “donuts” chain where I picked up an extra large black coffee. I was wondering how the price would differ here from Montreal. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I paid six cents less in St. John’s that I would have in Montreal. From there I went home.

Later this evening I once again found myself in the square, this time on a mission to pick up some molasses for some gingerbread that I had been requested to prepare. Upon reaching the grocery store I was a little thrown, the door through which I have been entering this store for over twenty year is no longer in use, it has been closed and turned into an emergency exit only door, which was somewhat of a disappointment.

Once in the store I walked around to do a little comparative shopping, and was not really surprised to learn that many products were more expensive here than in Montreal, in come cases by a fairly wide margin. I quickly completed my shopping and returned home to make the gingerbread, the scent of which is wafting through the air as I write.

*The Square is Churchill Square, a local shopping area.

No comments: