Friday, December 22, 2006

A Few Quick Notes 41

-We seem to be receiving a surprise snowfall today. What seemed like a few flurries at first is now a full-blown snowfall.

-I will be staying at home with my sister tonight. It is likely that we will rent a movie of some sort and hopefully head to bed early (at least that is my wish).

-Last night, with my brother and his girlfriend, I got together with a few friends, many of whom are no longer full time residents of Newfoundland. We started the evening at Bitters, the graduate student bar, but quickly learned that they would be closing at 9:00 PM. We then moved over to Big Bens, a nearby pub. Some people in our group played a card game called 120s. As I think that this is a horrible game I did not play. Eventually, around midnight, I left and returned home.

-While at Bitters a slight dispute arose between the bartender and myself. I requested a “Black Velvet” and learned that the bartender had no clue as to what I was talking about. When I described what I wanted, Guinness layered on a base of cider, she instructed me that the drink I was requested was called “snakebite.” What I described as “snakebite,” cider and lager, she called “black and tan.” I was pretty sure this was off, so I found this , though I can’t say that it is my favourite source. At the end of the day I guess I shouldn’t be too upset considering that I ended up with the drink that I wanted.

-For some reason since I have been home I haven’t been eating all that much, it is really quite strange. For instance, so far today I have only had two pieces of toast and I have been up for almost eight hours. Many of my days seem to go like this, with maybe one proper meal and very sparse quantities of food throughout the rest of the day.

-There are some leeks in the fridge, I really should make some potato and leek soup in the next day or two.

No comments: