Monday, December 04, 2006

A Few Quick Notes 29

-We received a few centimeters of snow today, our first real snowfall of the season. While I was pleased with the snowfall itself I was disappointed with the various removal operations that didn’t seem to materialize as promised.

I had been told that Montreal was quite good at removing the snow from sidewalks and streets, seemingly as soon as it fell. This did not happen today, though they eventually did get around to sending a rather ineffective sidewalk plough around.

McGill was another story altogether. When I went back this evening it seemed as though nothing had been done. In many places the snow had been packed down into an ice-like substance that was quite slippery, almost treacherous. By the time I left at about midnight a plough had clearly visited a few places, though not the packed down snow in front of the Arts Building.

-As you might recall, yesterday I was following the Liberal leadership convention, which was in Montreal. In many ways I found it somewhat hard to believe because I saw very little evidence of its existence, aside from a shirt and a sticker, it could have been anywhere in Canada.


I mentioned this feeling to Val while we were at a restaurant in old Montreal eating dinner. Then I asked her where the Palais des Congres was located. She almost laughed; actually it is likely that she did laugh. It turns out that the subway station from which I had exited on my way to dinner is in the Palais, though I did notice this. We decided that after we finished eating we would head back and see if anything was going one, and to let me see how inobservant I had been.

By the time we were due to arrive I was pretty sure that the leader should have been determined, though I couldn’t really tell just by looking, it was pretty dead. As we approached, actually as the large sign came into view we saw a sign in a garbage can. We went over to check it out and saw that it was a Dion sign. Upon pulling the sign out of the garbage we decided that it would be neat to take a picture with the sign and the Palais in the background. Obviously, this is the photo that has been embedded in this post.

We then continued our approach but still could not tell who had won. As we drew closer we saw more and more political do-dads. I quickly realized that I would likely have to ask someone if I wanted to know. Val refused to accompany me as I went of in search of an informed individual.

I quickly spotted a door with a few obvious Liberal smokers. A woman wearing some Dion gear was the easiest to approach so I asked her if she could tell me who won. She then told me, with a smile and a hint of joyfulness in her voice, that Stephane Dion had won. I thanked her and went back to Val to tell her the news.

-For dinner tonight I had wiener schnitzel, it was quite tasty. It seems that the fresh lemon juice really makes the dish work. It was served with freshly mashed potatoes and yellow beans. Very tasty, and there will be enough leftovers for tomorrow.

-I made two trips to McGill today. The first was to work on a cataloging project, which I did from 1:00-4:00. Then this evening I had to work on a short Reference assignment due tomorrow morning. I am not really sure how much time I spent there, though I know that it was less than two hours.

-Today, just as the snow was starting to fall, I brought my bike in. It turned out that the timing was just about perfect. The downside of all of this is that I have to deal with my bike in my room until I can figure out a better place for it to be stored.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wiener Schnitzel? Not bad! How about Doener Kebab at Montreal? Any experiences yet?

Cameron said...

No, though I did see a place or two that might be promising. I haven't been able to work up the courage after a few bad experiences after Berlin.