Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Newfoundland and da (h)arts

Bys oh bys, over the last few days I have been noting that Newfoundlanders have a huge presence on CBC Radio and TV. This Hour Has 22 Minutes, and Rick Mercer’s show both have their origins in Newfoundland, and reasonable audiences. On radio, both the Debaters and Cross Country Check-Up are hosted by Newfoundlanders.

Just tonight I learned that a former resident of Newfoundland was named the parliamentary Poet Laureate.

Newfoundland’s authors also are frequently mentioned also.

For such a small population, Newfoundland seems to have made a big impact.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, Debaters is SO good! I only listen to it when it happens to be on when I'm in the car and my iPod battery is dead, but it's definitely one of my favourite programs on CBC radio.

Cameron said...

I am pretty much in the same boat when it comes to listening to that show, except the car part.

Another good new show on CBC is Man, Woman, and Child which airs Saturday mornings at 11:30.

For the first time in years CBC has actually added a good show or two to the line up. The question is when they will figure out that Go and Freestyle stinking up the line-up.

Cameron said...

The other problem is that the hours for these shows tend not to be the best, at least for me that is.

On the other hand, maybe they are pretty good considering that I do occassionally get to hear them. Unlike Sounds Like Canada, which I fortunately almost never get to hear. I usually don't get to hear this show anyway because it makes me so upset that I turn my radio off.

Generally I think that CBC need more good comedy and radio drama, as well as long documentaries.

Much of their local current affairs content doesn't really have much content. Such shows should be more like the Fisheries Broadcast or The House, with a very defined focus, even if not everyone likes it there is a certain audience which is very interested. The current type of show takes a very unexciting middle path, no one is really upset but it dosen't really do that much for anyone either.