Monday, December 04, 2006

Snow in Halifax

Today Halifax had its first snowfall in which there was any sort of ground covering. In exchange for working for me last Wednesday night while I was returning from Banff, I was supposed to work for Rebecca this evening in the Math Learning Centre. To be sure that Dal was still open (it was quite a snowfall) Rebecca and I checked the webpage. The conclusion we came to was that we would have found any reasonable attempt to post news on the page that the university was closed. Hence, I dressed up and walked to school. Traffic was backed up everywhere, and I saw a bus without any standing room parked on the side of the road, unable to go anywhere. As I approached campus it seemed surprisingly dark. As it turned out, about half the buildings had lost power. This included the math building and the library, where I was supposed to work, so I turned around and came home. The hour-long trek was nice, but I probably could have done without it. The power is on here at Fenwick though which is good.

The semester is coming to an end very quickly. On Wednesday, the Dalhousie Association of Graduate Students (DAGS) is having a general meeting. As I am the DAGS representative for the Math and Stats Grad Society (MSgrads), I will go. Rebecca will go as well (also potentially some other MSgrads exec members). Next week I will also mark some first-year calculus exams. I think that'll be about 6 hours of work. As well, I have my last 7 hours of work in the Learning Centre for the semester. The rest of my commitments are more academic. In my three courses, I have an exam on the 12th, a take-home due on the 11th, an interview in two days (for a project I have already submitted), and I have a project to do (in Game Theory). After that, I come home on the 15th (and I will come back to Halifax on the 3rd or so of Jan).

No comments: