Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Few Quick Notes 35

-An overcast day in Montreal, though on the warm side. As far as I can tell it was not below freezing all day.

-This morning I went over to Val’s place to have breakfast with her. We had breakfast at a local place, a Quebec based chain that recently opened up a place in Newfoundland. The experience was quite good.

-On my way back home from Val’s I stopped at the bakery down the street from her apartment. While at the bakery I purchased two baguettes, the last of which I just finished eating moments ago. They were both very tasty pieces of bread.

-A former St. John’s resident, Rebekah Rimsay, a first soloist in the National Ballet of Canada, was mentioned in yesterday’s Globe and Mail. In an article discussing her troupe’s version of the Nutcracker Rimsay’s first appearance as the Sugar Plum Fairy was discussed. It seems that the first time that Rimsay danced the role was when the original dancer fell ill during the show and the substitute had left for the evening. During the intermission as much of the part was explained as possible, arrangements for several parts to be cut were made, and decisions about were improvisations made. It would seem that this is not how one would want to go about getting the female lead. In later years Rimsay was properly awarded the part.

-My first exam is tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM. I am currently trying to memorize various bibliographic and factual sources.

-I went for a walk last night and came across Crescent Street, the Anglo bar district. Even though I had not been there before and don’t plan on going in the near future I don’t think that I will be missing all that much.

-For dinner tonight I had grilled, herb crusted chicken breast sections on a bed of leftover spaghetti and bean mush.

No comments: