Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Few Quick Notes 34

-In less than 24 hours the temperature has risen by about 10 degrees, which, to me, seems to be a pretty big change. We are now just above freezing. Generally it has been overcast, though not particularly bad.

-Last night was one of my busiest nights at work. Aside from the normal Friday rush we also had a chemistry dinner with 100 people and a philosophy party with at least 50 people. The up swing of all this activity was that our tips were quite good. Another positive benefit is that I was able to have a very tasty turkey dinner instead of my normal meat only pizza, though I must say I did miss the pizza. The main downside of the night was that a group of people did not want to leave at closing time and were pretty rude when I requested that they leave (it was really not a very pleasant experience).

-I have done some studying today, but I need to do a fair bit more. Just recently I finished creating a list of reference sources that I need to memorize for my test. My next study goal will be going through a booklet handed out by the professor. On top of my studying I should also be working on my essay. Unfortunately, I didn’t take my usual citation based research approach to this essay, instead I took a subject approach and ended up with articles that weren’t as relevant or good as I could have found. The problem is that one dosen’t always know when they have a good seed article.

-Yesterday afternoon I photocopied an article from 1953, this article is still quoted in many contemporary discussions on censorship. After quickly reading it, the article is only about 5 pages, I was able to see why. The author very effectively lays out his arguments and makes his position easy to understand, on top of that, the issues he discusses, censorship and selection, haven’t really changed that much in the past 50 years.

-It looks as though I will be a member of our departmental intramural soccer team next semester (no tryouts were needed). Our team will be registered in one of the lower skill divisions, which is fortunate because as far as I know none team members have play soccer in at least ten years.

While I am not necessarily a big soccer fan, I am looking forward to the social and athletic benefits of this activity. It will also be something to get me out of the house once a week.

No comments: