Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Are beans vindictive?

For a change I decided to take a photo of the plants from the outside. While this photo demonstrates how visible my plants are from outside, it may be a little harder to compare with some of the previous photos. Seeing how visible my room is from the outside I am glad that my room is at the back of the building, instead of at the front.



This second ear of corn seemingly came out of nowhere. Almost as soon as it became visible it began to grow a beard. This beard seems to be spilling out unceasingly. I am not sure why this ear has developed a beard and the first ear seems to only have a few hairs sticking out.



The beans and other plants in the living room keep growing at a relatively decent pace.



At least three of the bean plants are now making their way along the second horizontal string. Unfortunately, progress along the bottom string seems to be a little slower than it was along the upper string.



A few days ago I noticed that many of the bean leaves seem to be dying. As you can see, many of the sections of the leaves seem to be without life. I really wish I knew what the problem was so that I might be able try to do something about it. Though I don't think that this is due to underwatering, I have tried to increase the watering schedule as of today. Not surprisingly, it is a little too soon to tell if this is what is needed. The other thing that I have done is to give the beans another hit of plant food, based on the assumption that the small pots and limited growing space may mean a shortage of nutrients (though I have not real evidence to suggest that this is the problem).



The other option is that the older bean plants are jealous of the new bean plants in my bedroom and in an attempt to spite me for planting more beans the bean plants in the living room are committing mass suicide. Interestingly, the beans that have been growing in my bedroom since the fall are seemingly under-going a resurgence and are showing new blooms for the first time in weeks. Maybe these three plants are glad that I am giving more attention to general bean population in my bedroom? If you have any ideas please let me know, I really would rather not lose all of the plants in the living room.



About a month ago I picked this radish. The radish seed from which this plant grew was planted in late August. It would seem that I provided the plant with less than ideal growing conditions.

No comments: