Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 295

-Though a little chilly and, at times, windy, today was pretty nice. By mid-afternoon the sun was out in full force, making things a little warmer and more pleasant.

-One of my two classes was cancelled today. This allowed me to attend a lecture that would have otherwise conflicted with my class. I hope to attend another lecture tomorrow, though the lecture tomorrow would be on library, rather than political science, related topics.

-Just yesterday I found out about Google Street View. I was amazed to be able to make my way around my old stomping grounds in New York. What I don't understand is how I managed to not know about this service for such a long period of time. The irony of the timing of my discovery is that today a number of news sources, including CBC, are reporting that Google Street View will be photographing several Canadian cities in the very near future (meaning that I would have found about it by today at the latest). I guess if I found out how I could figure out when the camera van would be going down my street I could try to find a way to position myself appropriately so that I could make the photo, but I imagine aside from standing outside all summer, this might be a bit hard to guarantee.

-The scarlet runner beans are continuing to make good progress. Presently three of the four plants have made it to the string. Unfortunately, the location of the plants and the way in which they are growing makes it a little hard for me to photographically document their growth. Hopefully in a few days, once they have grown a little more, I should be able to more clearly get a picture of what is going on with them.

-For those of you that are interested, Mike Schmidt has started releasing year two of his podcast "The 40 Year Old Boy." Funnily enough, just a few weeks ago Stop Podcasting Yourself, a Vancouver based comedy podcast, also entered their second year, though as far as I know they have not opted to go with a season/year episode labeling system (though they have set a cap at 1200 episodes).

-Yesterday it was reported that CBC would be cutting about 800 positions. Today some of the implications of these cuts were released. As far as radio is concerned, it seems that many local noon-time shows will be cut from two hours to one hour and smaller outpost stations will also face cuts.

If I recall correctly, such an approach was tried before to only limited success. With each cut to local content CBC seems to become less relevant to a number of listeners. I keep wondering when they will realize that there is only so much centrally created content that people want to listen to, and also that people are interested in local news and events.

No comments: