Thursday, March 19, 2009

So there is an explanation

Earlier tonight I went for a walk on Spring Garden and Barrington in downtown Halifax. Given the somewhat sub-par weather I wasn't particularly surprised that it wasn't a very busy evening as far as pedestrians were concerned.

I was a little more surprised that Ginger's Tavern/Granite Brewery appeared to be closed. As there weren't any signs and it was dark I wasn't immediately able to determine with the closure was permanent or whether it was a matter of the facility undergoing renovations.

Just a while ago I happened to find an article from The Coast that gave a definitive answer, which is that the bar has closed for good. It seems that the owner has decided to get out of the bar business in Halifax and instead focus on the microbrewery side of the business. While I can't say I was a regular customer, I am a little surprised with this closure given the prominence of the bar as a live music venue.

No comments: