Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring harvest

I finally got around to making a few changes to the plants in my bedroom window. Given the way things are growing or not growing I should probably consider making few more drastic changes in the coming days.



Aside from watering, I haven't really done anything to the banana plant or the aloe droplets for months. So far this seems to be working out. Both seem to be plugging along quite nicely. The main change I am contemplating is re-potting the banana plant and then putting it outside for the summer. The only problem with such a scheme is where I might expect to put it once the summer is over and I would need to return it to my bedroom. I have no idea how I might try to re-pot the aloe droplets as the soil is quite poor and would likely just fall away instead of moving with the root structure.



The most significant change I made was to cut down the old corn plant. For the past few days I have noticed that all of the leaves were turning, so I thought I might try to cut it down before it died completely (though I don't know why I was thinking this).

This is a shot of the plant prior to the harvest.



I removed the two ears so that they could be husked before they were disposed of.



This is the ear of corn that was highest on the plant, it was also the first ear of corn that was visible on the plant. As you can see, it really didn't amount to much as far as corn is concerned.



This is the lower ear of corn, and it quite clearly was a slightly more substantive ear of corn. I think that if I had left this a little longer it might have continued to develop, though I don't imagine that it would have ever turned into anything useful. I guess the key aspect is that proves that you can grow corn in an apartment, though the technique might need to be slightly refined if you actually want to be able consume the resulting ears of corn.



The thyme is going nuts. I think that I should probably try to harvest some of it soon. I guess if I needed it or knew the best way to dry it I might be more inclined to make a move in this direction. I imagine that for at least the next several days I will continue to let it grow



Though it may not be clear in the top photo, one of the three bean plants surrounding the bay tree was dead. I was able to remove the plant without doing too much damage to either of the other bean plants or the bay tree. The neat part of the process was finding a bean seed, which I hope to plant in the coming days.



The bay tree continues to develop. The new leaves continue to darken. I keep hoping to find buds that just about ready to open, but so far the buds that are visible seem unchanged. At the moment I still have no idea whether I might expect any additional growth this summer. Interestingly, the new shoot is almost as tall as the original stalk was when I acquired the plant.

2 comments:

Donald McKay said...

If you have 'thyme', just cut and hang dry the plants.

Cameron said...

That's what I thought, but I was using my formal ignorance as an excuse for inaction, kind of like I did with the spider mite infestation.