Monday, March 02, 2009

More shock and awe

For some reason watching plants grow really enchants me. The consequence of this enchantment seems to be an unending stream of blog posts with photographic evidence of this growth, along with a few thoughts and comments on this growth.

As usual, I am consistently impressed with the corn and its continued development. As you might be able to notice, the ear is starting to show some of that stereotypical tassel. Unfortunately, I think that the small pot is likely limiting its growth, meaning that I won't get the full serving of corn that I hoped I would.



The banana plant has continued its relatively rapid rate of growth. When I eventually get around to cutting away some of the older dead leaves it will start to look a little more like a banana tree. I imagine that in the relatively near future I should consider re-potting this plant so I don't end up with the same problem that I have with the corn.



The aloe droplets are continuing to do well. The problem, at least from a viewing perspective, is that change is not particularly rapid with these plants. My new approach is to give them a more in-depth examination every few days, which is enough time for me to have noticed some change.



For those of you that remember the last photo of this corn you might have sensed that both plants have grown by several inches since the last update. While I am hoping that such growth will continue I am relatively aware that the size of the pot is likely to restrict the size of the plant (as I have learned with the other plant).



The thyme continues to get bigger and bigger. I am starting to think that I might want to try harvesting some of it. The funny thing about this plant is that the way it has developed means that I can't really see much of it on a day to day basis. If I really want to get a good sense of how big it is I have to stand up and look down on the plant (resulting in a perspective similar to what you see in this photo).



The new bay tree leaves continue to grow and get darker, making them more like the older leaves. I have also recently noticed that the new stem growth is starting to get darker and now almost matches the older growth. The few other buds that are visible don't seem to be doing much at the moment, though I am hoping that they will pop out branches to rival the first new growth of the season.

Down below you might be able to make out the new branch. This too continues to get bigger and darker, just like the other sections of new growth. So far this is the only one of these branches to develop, though I keep hoping that I might find more.



In the fall I noticed that in the lounge at school someone had placed a clipping in a wine decanter and that the clipping had proceeded to grow roots and new leaves, just as if it was growing in soil. After a brief examination of the plant I realized that we had the same type of plant in our apartment. Not surprisingly, I decided to give this form of hydroponics a shot and as you can see, it has been relatively successful. At some point in the very near future I hope to start a third such bottle, the 30 seconds needed seem to continually elude me.

No comments: