Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Another horrible idea? pt. 1

Last night I started thinking about whether or not it would be a horrible idea to try making bread with either coffee or tea instead of water. Not only was the idea of mildly-caffeinated bread somewhat appealing to me, it also seemed that coffee and or tea might work nicely in association with traditional bread flavours.

As good an idea as it seemed to me, I thought that I should probably run this past someone else to get their opinion before embarking on such a potentially disastrous project. My friend Peter, who has been around for some of my more monumental food failures (notably marmoffee - a repulsive mixture of Marmite and coffee) and has worked in a bakery, seemed like the obvious choice when seeking such a second opinion.

Much to my surprise, Peter actually have the whole thing a (tentative) thumbs up. Peter's thought was that tea might work nicely with a whole wheat or rye bread and that coffee might be better suited to something like a white bread.

With this provisional green-lighting of the idea I became somewhat fixated on this idea, particularly the idea of coffee bread.

This morning, after getting home from my final seminar of the semester, and partly as a means of celebrating this achievement I decided to leap forth into the void and give this coffee bread thing a shot.

Of course, I wasn't quite content to just try a plain white/coffee bread (as was my first thought). Instead I decided to mix things up a bit and add a few more flavours and textures to the mix. In the end I decided to go for a coffee walnut chocolate chip white bread.



At the moment the dough, which is an attractive tan, is rising. Soon after this post is up I will start to shape the loaves. Hopefully within an hour and a half or so I should be able to be able to report on the outcome (and if the smell of the dough means anything, I think it should at least be edible).

Hopefully I will be able to post a few more updates (also Peter's recommendation) as the project continues.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Dough looks a little dry to me - I like a high water to flour ratio for a lighter, airier (word?) loaf. Still looks like it has good potential (and I wouldn't add more liquid now, though you can dampen it with a clean wet cloth). The recipe reminds me of the Georgestown date-chocolate bread, which was delicious near the end of an insane Friday shift.

Also, the marmoffee was an unqualified success in that we discovered that it wasn't edible/ marketable, and that energy could be spent elsewhere. Had to be tried though, right?

Cameron said...

The dough is actually pretty moist, I just didn't want to deal with the flour on top as the chocolate was starting to melt (maybe I added it to soon?). Hopefully it will taste good.

Marmoffee needed to be tried once, though maybe not. What if it had been great?