Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 490

-It is currently raining, as it has been for much of my trip. Though we did see some sun this afternoon, today, like every other day since I have been home, has seen at least some rain. This has been one of the worst stretches of weather I have seen in quite some time.

-We went bowling tonight. While my father and I pulled respectable scores together in the last frame or two of play of the first game, we all managed to solidly break 100 in our second game. The only unfortunate part of this, at least as far as I was concerned, is that I managed to score fewer points in the second game than in the first.

While we were bowling the gentlemen in the lane next to us, who arrived just as we were arriving, (who was a good bowler) was seemingly there just to practice. He quickly played two 250+ games and then took off. In total he was probably there for less than 30 minutes. While he was there he seemed to even do things like set up splits and then finish them off. The whole thing was rather odd.

-Jeannette and I will soon be heading back to Halifax. It seems that they have been having similar weather there, so I don't imagine we have missed much.

-For the past day or two I have been engaged in re-listening to the recent Radiolab episode entitled Wild Talk.



[Embedded audio]

This episodes explores communication, or language, that has been found in certain animal species, or across species. Most importantly, it seems to give some credence to my skepticism of the claim that was made by my professor in my intro linguistics class that language is only to be found among humans.

No comments: