Monday, December 06, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 484

-Today was an all around strange day. I woke up to learn that in several parts of town the night had been so rough that there were a number of power outages (supposedly including our street even though this didn't actually seem to be the case). Later in the day we had the pleasure of experiencing periods of intense rain followed by sunny periods and heavy wind. Fortunately, I managed to avoid some of the worst patches of weather while walking to and from school.

-I had the pleasure of attending a political science Ph.D. defence this afternoon. Though the defence wasn't particularly short (maybe 2 or 3 hours), it was well done and not the least bit unpleasant (as was the only other defence I have attended). After the defence I join the successful Ph.D candidate, her family, the external examiner, and faculty for a few drinks and some celebrations.

-Apparently Tumblr went down for a few hours. Had it not been an event in and of itself I probably wouldn't have jumped on the bandwagon and been aware of this generation-making event. I just look forward to the day when I can tell the next generation about this earth-shattering event. Like the New York black-out of 2003, kids of the next generation just won't believe such a turn of events possible.

-I should probably try to head to bed shortly so that I can get cracking early tomorrow morning.

No comments: