Monday, December 13, 2010

Tricked by the pomegranate 'trick'

I was recently told about a 'trick' that would allow me to more easily access the fruit of a pomegranate. Basically the idea was that if half of a pomegranate was pushed open (meaning pressure was applied on the skin side toward the open side) while under water the seeds would self-separate from the pulp.

It was suggested that the proper application of this technique would cause the seeds of a pomegranate to simply "fall out." Though skeptical, I was/am interested in a trick that would allow me to achieve such an effect.

Last night I decided to give the trick a try.

Not surprisingly, the results were quite underwhelming. Actually, the whole thing lead to an outcome that was basically the same as what I had before, but now there was water involved.

Also, it became clear to me that this 'trick' was somewhat widely known I wondered if I might be able to find instances of it being executed effectively. Of course, the internet seemed the place to find such an instance.

Not surprisingly, it was easy to find videos demonstrating this 'secret' pomegranate de-seeding technique. What was most amazing is that outcome presented in these videos was remarkably similar to the one that I achieved - meaning one that was remarkably underwhelming and oversold.

The following video is an example of the application of the 'trick.' As you can see, getting the seeds from the pomegranate is still somewhat labour intensive.



[Embedded video]

Anyway, this experience has taught me that I am really not that far off-base with my pomegranate de-seeding technique. It also has taught me that after hundreds, if not thousands, of years of consuming pomegranates humans have still not figured out an efficient way to get at the fruit (or bred them to be more accessible).

2 comments:

Donald McKay said...

The 'trick' you describe is not the best way to open a pomegranite. Your sister can show you the proper method when you return home.

Cameron said...

It is definitely not much of a trick, though I learned that the hard way.