Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Eight Treasure Porridge

This afternoon, while making a quick trip to one of the local Chinese grocery stores, I happened to see and decide to buy a package of what looked like rice and a few other things. It turned out that what I was looking at was Eight Treasure Porridge, a mix of "sticky rice, rice, crushed corn, red bean, red kidney bean, black rice, white kidney bean, hushed buckwheat, mung bean, peanut, red jujube." Though I didn't know it when I first looked at the list of recipes, this is supposed to be served as a desert porridge or, to restate, it is intended to be a sweet dish.

After allowing the dry ingredients to soak for about 2.5 hours I just recently put them on the to boil, though I am not sure if I was able to "boil it with roaring fire, then change to slow fire" as the instructions suggested. Right now it is slowly simmering.



Though this picture makes it look as though the porridge is an unappetizing brown, it is actually closer to an appetizing purple. That being said, I am still quite curious to know how this will taste. Now that it is cooking I really hope is is good as I decided to make the entire package instead of holding some back for a second batch (meaning that once it is done I will have a fair bit to consume).

1 comment:

jlye said...

I thought it was yummy, though I might add a little sugar later when I have it as a late-night snack.