Monday, September 13, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 456

-Though today was mostly overcast it really wasn't that bad of a day. The temperatures remained reasonable all day, and, most importantly, the rain stayed away. Hopefully we will be so lucky tomorrow.

-This morning at about 7:00 AM I was abruptly awoken by a loud snap. A mouse trap in my bedroom had been sprung. When I got up to investigate the matter I learned that not only had the trap been sprung, but that it had been engaged by a hapless mouse. The mouse, not surprisingly, was dead.

This makes the second mouse that we have trapped in less than a week. I wonder if this means that we have a 'mouse problem' in our apartment?

Also, it seems that my various trap schemes of last night were completely ineffective. Somehow what I thought was a series of inescapable obstacles was actually easily avoidable. Or maybe the mice are smart and more agile than most normal mice.

-I had my second class this year. While I have taken this class twice before I learned that it has now been somewhat re-imagined. The consequence of this re-imagining is that I will now have more new readings to do than I had last year. On the whole, though it means more work for me, I think that the new version of the course is an improvement and will be better.

-I guess I should get down to work.

5 comments:

dgraham said...

Why are you taking the same course a third time? This seems odd to me

Rebecca said...

Super mice...must be...

Cameron said...

I am taking the course for a third time because of 'tradition.' Of course, because I have taken the course before, it is not for credit, though I do seem to have at least on assignment.

Those students in the department but not in my sub-specialty do not seem to have the same 'tradition.'

Jess said...

Mice love peanut butter - put some on the traps! Also, double-stick tape the traps to the floor so that they cannot push them out of the way.

Put traps under the fridge, in the drawer under the oven and anywhere else that is warm. Put them in cupboards behind where you used to store open dry goods. Stick one or two on that large shelving unit in your kitchen. Finally, you could always use some liquid ant bait mixed into the peanut butter, in case they don't set the traps (never tried this one, though).

Hope that helps.

Unknown said...

Good luck. i always get a mouse trap to get rid of them once and for all. This one also traps any parasites that may live on the mouse. I'm sure that would be good for you since I would assume you wouldn't want parasites around infecting your chickens. http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m265#desc