Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Real weather

Since I have been on the mainland (2006), I have noticed that the meteorological events that are called 'storms' don't seem to really compare to some of the meteorological events that are given the same appellation in Newfoundland.

The Hurricane Earl vs. Hurricane Igor comparison is a good one, or so it seems to be to me.

The following is a video that I took of a good portion of the worst of Earl. As you can see, the plants still have their leaves. So while I do need to acknowledge that several trees were knocked over and power lines downed, it really wasn't that bad as far as hurricanes go.



[Embedded video]

As a point of contrast, this is a video taken during Igor's time in Newfoundland. Notice how an entire barn is washed away by the power of flowing water.



[Embedded video]

I think it should now be clear where the real storms reside. (And I should be clear, I am fine with the Mainland having wimpier storms - just don't insult me by trying to claim that they are the same thing).

No comments: