Saturday, September 04, 2010

Hurricane Earl Live 14-20

11:47 – Moments ago Jeannette and I returned from a brief trip outside (we were wondering if we might be able to get discount pizzas from the local pizza shop as a result of the recent power outage). Not surprisingly, we were unable to acquire such pizzas.

Nonetheless, we did snag some good information from our superintendent on our way out. It seems that our building’s underground parking garage door doesn’t work during power outages. The significance is that no one with a car in the garage will be able to get it out until power is returned, which might not be until tomorrow or the day after.

On the upside, we did see that the Airporter is running, so transportation to the airport isn’t impossible.

12:59 – Things have slowed down somewhat significantly since we lost power about an hour and a half ago. For the most part people seem to have engaged themselves in either reading or napping.

Just a few minutes ago Neil and I read some rules for a new game, Montego Bay, which we are hoping to play shortly. I guess we aren’t likely to play until everyone is awake and fully functional.

I am starting to get a little hungry. I guess it is lunchtime. I am not really sure about what I should do to deal with this problem. I don’t want to open the fridge as I am not sure when we will again have power, but I don’t know that we have too many things to eat that are not in the fridge (I guess we do, it is just that they aren’t particularly exciting). I am sure that I will be fine, I don’t think one can starve to death over the course of an afternoon.

13:04 – I just remembered my recently purchased package of Fudgee-Os. It seems that my food shortage problem has been temporarily solved.

13:42 – It seems that the rain has stopped, at least for now. This has allowed us to open a few of the our windows in an attempt to get a breeze as it is still surprisingly warm (apparently the Hurricane didn’t blow away the heat way like I hoped it would).

Though the winds have also died down we are occasionally subject to strong gusts. During a number of these gusts we have heard what sounded like cracks coming from some neighbouring trees. Thus far no major branches have fallen in our vicinity, though I suspect that a number of trees have been substantially weakened.

14:46 – Though there is still some wind, we are now able to see blue sky over the harbour. This suggests to me that we have made it through the worst of the storm, though, of course, we are still without power and seem likely to continue in such a state for some period of time.

15:01 - There has recently been some talk of heading out in the rental car to find an open restaurant to acquire food. Since the power has now been out for several hours it has been some time since any of us have had a proper meal.

17:44 - We are presently at a Starbucks in a Chapters at Bayers Lake. Sadly, the free internet access brought with it the bad news that we are still without power and will likely continue to be without it until tomorrow morning.

We originally came out this way to find a restaurant to visit for a late lunch. Since then we have been shopping and loitering, hoping to delay our return to our power-free apartment. Who know how far this avoidance of our apartment will take us.

No comments: