Friday, September 03, 2010

Is this legal?

This morning, while walking to a doctor's appointment, I noticed that there was more colour on the sidewalk than normal. Eventually I looked down and examined the situation more closely. What I found was a spray-painted ad about high-speed internet services from EastLink.



I was somewhat taken aback by this ad. Not only was it hard to read, at least I found it to be, but I don't know how it isn't illegal. Even though this was placed on the sidewalk by a company, I don't see how it isn't different than regular graffiti, except that it has as more obvious commercial purpose (which means that they are defacing public property for commercial gains). I wonder how long this ad campaign will stick around, or if there will be any legal repercussions for EastLink.

6 comments:

dgraham said...

Yeah... this is almost certainly illegal. This kind of "guerilla advertising" is a big issue in a lot of cities (like Toronto) and I'd encourage you to find out who is in charge of regulating outdoor advertising in Halifax and contact them.

Cameron said...

This afternoon we collectively came to a similar conclusion (that we should contact the city). It seems likely that because so many municipal by-laws are enforced on a complaint-only basis that it might be particularly important that we contact the city with regards to this issue.

jlye said...

Right in front of my apartment too :o(

Cameron said...

The offense has now been reported to the appropriate authorities.

dgraham said...

I'm really happy that you guys reported this :)

Cameron said...

I am quite curious to see how the city will deal with my complaint and the offending graffiti.