Saturday, October 21, 2006

Congratulations Rebecca

and congratulations Val!

Val convocated with an M.A. yesterday. For those of you who don't think 'convocated' is a word, I'll point out that new words don't get added to the dictionary if people don't use them first. My plan is to encourage use of the word until someday it is a word. I had work and class yesterday so I didn't get to watch her on the webcast.

Rebecca convocates today with an M.Sc. For those of you wishing to watch Rebecca on a webcast, too bad. Dal doesn't have one. Fortunately for us though, Dal does have a 25% off sale on merchandise in the bookstore that has the Dalhousie logo. Unfortunately, the Dal bookstore didn't get the message from the convocation team, so we had to show an employee the website that listed the sale. In the end Rebecca bought a pen for herself as a gift from her grandmother and I picked up a zippered folder and a $6 shirt.

Rebecca's ceremony starts in 2.5 hours, so I best be going as I have lots to do before then. Afterwards there is a reception for the graduates which we will be attending. For dinner we're going out with Rebecca's Mom and in the evening Rebecca and I have a wedding reception to go to for Garrett MacLean and Sable McKeil, two fellow Master's students in math. Garrett had the same supervisor as Rebecca had and Sable has the same supervisor as I do currently.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Neil. Congrats Val!

Anonymous said...

Dear Neil,
Dear Rebecca,
Thank you very much! I must say that the convocation experience was quite enjoyable. I guess I like the formality of all this!!!
My congratulations to you Rebecca and I would be curious to hear what the differences are between Dal's convocatiion ceremony and MUN's (I could also at some point give you a detailed account of the differences between MUN's and McGill's...).
I have to say that it is good to be in St. John's, in Newfoundland... I was missing it so much and I have been acting like a little girl (jumping all around) since I am here!
Congratulations again!