Saturday, October 07, 2006

First Night

So I had my first shift at Thomson House last night. Work was certainly exhausting. The job was relatively straight forward but the shift was long, especially for a slow night. Even though my position title is that of “door person” it turns out the job is basically that of a busboy, though I am also responsible for security. This means that we door people pick up
glasses and restock the bar until people need to be kicked out or reigned in, in which we case we switch to that function. Because it was a slow night last night it meant that we basically focused on busing tables until we had to notify people that we were closing.

Just prior to finally kicking people out for the night we I had the pleasure of cleaning out the sink. The nastiness of this is that people have been dumping drinks, including lemons, limes, and oranges, and cherries, all day long. On top of this already nasty mix add remnants of various dips, soups, and pizza cheese. There seemed to be a few unidentifiable items that had been thrown in throughout the day. Yum! In theory much of the junk is supposed to be caught in a strainer, in reality this is only partially true. The entire area, after the yucky bits have been removed, gets a full Ajaxing.

One job perk is that we get a meal each shift. The downside was that last Night was, and every Friday will be, pizza night. The good side was the kitchen made me a cheese and tomato free pizza. Instead of the regular toppings it had only ground beef, pepperoni, onions, and mushrooms. It was very tasty. We also get tea/coffee/pop throughout the night as we want it or need it. I took great advantage of the unlimited pints of free ice water.

Looks as though Friday night will be my regular shift. On the whole this is pretty good because I can get most of my work out of the way on a night when I won’t be doing much serious studying anyway. I look forward to future Fridays and shifts at Thomson House.

No comments: