Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Few Quick Notes 4, pt. 1

-I seem to be grocery shopping by sale items now. For the most part this works out. Stores usually have a few meats, vegetables, cereals, cookies, and such things on sale. It just means that I eat chicken when it is sold (or when I thaw it) instead of when I might naturally want chicken. It also means that there are events like last night, when I bought 4 packages of cookies because they were on sale 2/5$.

-I can’t get my peggle off. It is quite annoying. I think that I will need to find a longer wrench to get more leverage.

-The McGill book started today. I went to the bank last night so that I would have some cash for this event. As you may recall, the discards have been plumping up my personal library for the past few months.

-The book sale lived up to its reputation. Hundreds of people lined up to enter Redpath Hall before nine o’clock, the line reached past the Redpath Museum. Once in the customer could go either upstairs or stay on the main floor. Unfortunately, I chose to stay on the main floor and wasted a while looking at books in which I had no interest. Disappointed and ready to leave, I thought that I should at least give the upstairs section a quick once over. Almost as soon as I arrived upstairs I realized that that was where the main contents of the sale were. Once one made it past the teaming hoards, it was possible to find many good books at reasonable prices. It seems that most books were in the 1 – 2$ range, many as low as 0.50$.

-After the book sale I attended a reading at the Atwater Library. It was at 12:30 and by Joan Cook, a Newfoundland based writer, who I have heard is a good reader. I am glad I went, though I stood out as they youngest audience member. It seems that males also were a rather large minority.

-The reading brought me to a public library for the first time in years, certainly the first time since I have had any real knowledge of libraries and their workings. It was certainly quite different than an academic library.

-Val comes back tonight. I am looking forward to seeing her. It sounds as though her trip to St. John’s went well.

-For those of you with TVs and CBC access, the mini-series in which I was an extra, Above and Beyond, is finally airing. It will be shown on CBC at 8:00, 8:30 in Newfoundland, on October 29th and 30th. If I made the cut it will be in the garden party scene. Unfortunately, I have no idea where in the story arc this scene falls. For more information one can go to http://www.cbc.ca/aboveandbeyond/

-On the subject of films, it seems that a multi-day filming project is taking play just up the street from me. The cast and crew are scheduled to be here for about 5 or 6 days. The movie appears to be entitled “Toi.” I was thinking I should see if they need an experienced extra for any of the garden party scenes but I didn’t get around to it, maybe tomorrow.
-Just before arriving at the reading I noticed a new innovation in the food services industry, the McCafe. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to try a double soy latte with my large fries and chicken McNuggets. The McCafe was surprising like other cafes in terms of price and the fact that they had all kinds of desert items available. This new fast food operation is ironically just about 20 feet away from a Starbucks. Will experience in fast food or experience in coffee win out in this battle of the multi-nationals?

-I need to go and hit the books.

No comments: