Monday, October 23, 2006

My Peggle Bike

Today I had to head over to the Plateau to run a few errands for myself, and also for Val. As it would have been about a 40-minute walk in rather unpleasant weather I decided to ride my peggle bike over.

My trip over wasn’t too bad. As it was a bit wet my foot had the usual tendency to slip off of the peggle. On top of that my speed has to be reduced because of this foot-slipping problem.

After just a few minutes I made it over to the Plateau area and locked my bike at Val’s apartment. From there I headed out on foot. First I went east on Mont Royal all the way to the Mini-Max Variete before turning around and heading west to St. Denis where I visited the Valet D’Coeur. From this final destination I headed back to my bike and started my journey home.

Just as I started to make my way back home the precipitation changed from a light mist to a proper rain, making peggle biking decidedly more difficult.

As made my way back I was faced with more foot slipping and had to once again reduce my speed. This speed reduction was probably a good idea, as my brakes weren’t really functioning all that well at the moment either. The entire trip just did not seem to start on a good note.

I made my way south on the west side of Parc la Fontaine. As I was crossing from the park to the cross street, pushing a yellow further than it should have been pushed, I once again experienced peggle foot slippage. Oddly, this experience with my right foot seemed to throw me completely off balance in a way that has not occurred in the past. My left foot then popped off of my left peddle and my chain somehow popped out of place. I was now left with a disabled bike in the middle of an intersection with traffic going the wrong way. Fortunately, I was able to walk my bike to the side of the street and examine the situation.

After a quick examination I was able to see that everything, except for the peggle and the chain, seemed fine, or at least as fine as I could reasonably expect. Quickly I set to work at putting the chain back on. Stupidly, with my dominant hand I quickly reached for the chain and put it back on. Only after doing this did I realize that I had just greased up my right hand, the same hand that I would have to use to get the key from my pocket and perform other standard tasks. My attempt at rubbing some of the grease off on nearby wet leaves was not all that successful.

After this short delay I was back in the saddle and peggling slowly along. Once just past the restaurant section of Prince Arthur I was almost bumped by a car that failed to stop and give me the right of way. Fortunately I was able to stop quickly enough, though I did have to speed up the process by using my feet as brakes.

Once again, I got back on my bike and kept going. I was quickly on Milton heading directly towards McGill’s Milton gate when I noticed that the bike in front of me was also a peggle bike, though this time he had left peggle instead of a right peggle. Unfortunately, I don’t think that he noticed that I had a peggle, a failure that resulted in us not forming a mutual bond as peggle bike riders.

Anyway, this green peggle bike and I eventually separated and I made my way back home. Fortunately, I was able to do this and remain in one piece. Near the end of this trek I just wanted to be finished with the ride and in the comfort of my apartment.

1 comment:

Tuco said...

Hmm, I've got no idea what a peggle bike is, I'll have to look it up.
Regardless, if you're a biker you might be interested in a petition at
http://www.gopetition.com/online/10170.html
which asks the Fed. Gov. to promote cycling as a means of transportation.

Check it out (and maybe sign!) if you have a second. Take care.