Monday, October 30, 2006

Fire Alarm

Just a few minutes ago I was able to enter my building. For a while I had been kept out because of a fire alarm.

The fire alarm was actually going when I returned from class. It had obviously been going a while as the building had emptied and I didn’t see new people coming out. As there was nothing that I could do I continued on with my usual trip to the gym to pick up my free copy of the Gazette.

By the time I returned the alarm was still going and the fire trucks had not yet arrived. After a few more minutes the first fire truck arrived, the guys jumped out and went in to check the scene out. Shortly thereafter, about four more trucks arrived. I believe that about two more guys went in.

After what seemed like ten minutes or so (it is more likely that it was 5) a fireman came down and talked to us. It seemed that an apartment dweller on the fourth floor had overcooked something. It then came out that it was apartment 46, the one next to Nithum and I. We were then allowed to re-enter the building.

As I approached our apartment I was able to look in the open door our neighbours, apartment and see how close they in fact are to us. If anything had happened in their apartment it looks as though my room would be the first place of spread. Unlike the rest of the walls in our building it does not seem that the wall between our apartments is cement.

No comments: