Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Few Quick Notes 6

-If you are wondering why these entries are numbered in such a way you need only look back at my newspaper reading past, as well as my current course of study. In the Guardian particular features are numbered. This means that after a few years they might have Crossword No. 5567, or my favourite in the Saturday Review, the review of movies that were based on books (in the 600’s when I left).

It seems that in library school having a unique entry is a good thing, it allows the user to distinguish one item from the other. Also, they are big on series, numbered series in particular. So I guess I am putting my education to use.

-The more I think about it the more I am disappointed with the response time of the fire department yesterday. 10-12 minutes is a long time in the life of a fire. If it had been a real fire my apartment would likely have been ruined. I guess it raises the question of what is an acceptable response time, and how does one account for traffic fluctuations.

-As I was walking to class this morning I noticed a large Red Bull tent on the sports field. As I learned after class, it seems that today at McGill Red Bull sponsored a pumpkin launching contest.

The three entered teams had to try to launch a pumpkin several yards and hit a Red Bull target. There was supposed to be a way to vote for one’s favourite team and then get a free can of Red Bull. Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure this out and get my free tasty treat.

I stayed to watch a few of the launched pumpkins and was rather under-whelmed by the distances that they were being launched. In all likelihood I should be more forgiving of these home made pumpkin launchers.

-This morning I had my first Cataloging test. It was also my first university level open book test. In the end I feel that my hours of studying were well spent and on appropriate topics.

-The Newfoundland by-election is tomorrow. Lorraine Michaels (NDP) against Jerome Kennedy (PC). I will let you know who the winner is.

-For the first time in a few weeks I was able to get a game of Settlers in. Nithum arranged the game with a few of his classmates. It was a good game. At least four of us had 8 points and maybe could have had more if we had not played the development card game.

-Val’s sister will be coming to town tonight for a few days. This means that tomorrow I will be able to meet her for the first time. I am looking forward to this event, which is to take tomorrow at lunch time.

No comments: