Friday, February 11, 2011

Banned by the CBC

Many of you likely know that over past few days I have been in contact with a Telegram reporter who is doing a story on Doyle Pitches, a site where we make unsolicited episode and character pitches for the CBC show Republic of Doyle.

When I spoke to the reporter yesterday she said the would be contacting the Republic of Doyle people, particularly the star of the show, for a comment on the blog and our pitches.

I have now heard from this reporter that the show's representatives weren't particularly interested in giving a comment. Moreover, apparently the CBC has banned the star from even reading our blog over fears that if ideas similar to those on site eventually appear on the show they might be sued. Really? A free blog has been made verboten?

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I do not, nor does anyone else associated with the site, have any interest in suing a publicly funded local TV show. Hell, I would consider paying them upwards of $5 to use either Phonse Tibbo or Cecil Noseworthy in any of their episodes.

Secondly, it feels really funny to have been banned by the CBC (an institution I have loved for so many years). I mean really, is this anything anyone ever thinks they will have to deal with - especially when the organization doing the banning is also the country's premiere news organization?

Thirdly, it feels strange to have created something that lead to pre-emptive action being taken by another organization. Who knew actions had consequences and stuff?

Fourthly, apparently the story will still be coming out - though I don't know exactly when. If I hear details about the publication date I will be sure to relay them here.

Who knows, I may have more to say on this topic. At the moment the whole thing is a little too fresh for me to fully grasp and articulate.

Score
Cameron 30
Neil 0

1 comment:

Jess said...

Wow, keeping busy I see!