Thursday, February 03, 2011

A Few Quick Notes 504

-Though we had about 30 centimeters of snow yesterday, today turned out to be a pretty nice day. The main problem that I encountered was slush puddles around intersections.

-I forgot to mention that Neil, Rebecca, Peter, Jeannette, and I joined Jeannette's father for a pre-Chinese New Year meal.

-I had my eyes checked yesterday and I ordered some new glasses today. Hopefully I will be in possession of my new glasses in about four days.

-Today I attended a informal talk/discussion about the current situation in Egypt and the middle-east. While the two history professors and one political science professor didn't have much specific information, they were able to provide some context and background information on Egypt. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the audience questions, I suspect that most of them were of interest to basically everybody in attendance.

-While walking around downtown Halifax I happened to run into a few different acquaintances, two of whom I know through the Poli Sci department. One of these guys told me about his recent media exposure regarding his family being refused entry to a bus. It seems that his story even made the Globe and Mail.

This whole experience reminded me of the recent Metrobus strike and just completely disgusted me.

-Last night at about 3:30 AM the fire alarm began to sound. After a few minutes people began to gather in the front lobby while we waited for the fire department to arrive. After the alarm had been sounding for about 10 minutes a guy in a t-shirt and sweat pants slowly and alertly sauntered in to the lobby, looked at a building employee and asked "what's happening?"

I really thought it was obvious, but apparently not.

-This evening I attended a talk by former Harper cabinet minister Maxime Bernier about being a small government conservative. Though he wasn't quite a Ron/Rand/RuPaul type, he was definitely to the right of many Canadians.

Anyway, while the talk was somewhat underwhelming, I did learn that Bernier really knows how to wear a suit. Man, he is one of the best dress politicians I have ever seen.

Score
Cameron 9
Neil 0

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Was the Globe and Mail story in Egypt? That is where the link took me.

Cameron said...

No, I seem to have included the wrong link.