Monday, February 28, 2011

New Ubuntu installs

In the past month or so I've installed Ubuntu on three computers: Rebecca's old laptop, my new laptop and my desktop at school. Overall I was quite pleased the with install process and the final result.

All the installs were performed using a USB flash drive. I started with Rebecca's old laptop and I used all 40 gigs for Ubuntu, removing Windows from the machine. I caused some trouble for myself by partially disabling the wireless on Windows, which I then had to go back and fix at an inopportune time which cost me some minutes. I also tried at first to use a flash drive that wasn't fast enough, which cost me about an hour. The good news is that the laptop is now much more usable than it had been, both in terms of hard drive space and the resources required to run the OS on a minute-to-minute basis.

The other two installs were different in that they were dual-boot installs (ie. the Windows OS was left functioning). These took a little more internet research and a little guidance from an officemate but went as smoothly as was reasonable.

I'm now using Ubuntu almost exclusively at work and home. As I go on I hope to notice productivity increases from easier access to some programs.

Score
Cameron 34
Neil 25

1 comment:

Donald McKay said...

Tell me more about Unbuntu.