Friday, February 13, 2009

My life must be pretty dull if this is what I find exciting

The plants in my bedroom window have been growing pretty quickly these past few days. Though I don't know if this is really the case, but I am attributing this newfound energy to the additional sunlight that the plants are getting now what we are heading into spring.

As you can see, I have really tried to maximize the number of plants that I have in my window. The larger range of plants allows me to notice some change just about every day by. The only thing disappointing about the set-up is that my prime space is limited, and I presently seem to be just about at capacity.



The banana plant continues to pop out new leaves every few day. What I find most impressive, aside from its continued growth through the winter, is that it is now several inches taller than it was when I purchased it. I was assuming that the small pot would stunt its growth (which is still possible). Though unlikely, it would be really cool if I eventually managed to get a few bananas on this plant. My present plan is to re-pot this when we are closer to summer and eventually let it stay outside on our porch for most of the summer.



Though I have heard these referred to as 'Aloe Droplets' I don't know how common this name is, or what they are commonly known as. Anyway, though they are growing slowly, the number of them that have continued to grow shocks me. I think that I originally only expected one or two of the eight original droplets to take off. I now wish that I had filled this pot a little fuller, though it seems not to be preventing growth.



Though I know it is foolish, I can't seem to give up on the idea of indoor corn. So almost as soon as I saw that my other corn plant was developing a ear of corn I planted a few more seeds. As of this morning I have been able to see the first sprout. I am really looking forward to watching this over the next few days as these plants can grow several centimeters a day.



Though only one of my original thyme seeds sprouted it seems to be doing quite well. A few days ago I planted a few more seeds, though only two seem to be doing much of anything. I think that the low quality soil may have something to do with this low success rate. I guess if these two new plants are as successful as the first plants I should have much more fresh thyme than I need (though that is already the case).



I am particularly surprised with the recent leaf development on my bay laurel. In just a few days the bud on the top has started to open and make visible about 4 new leaves. Also, there seems to be a new shoot at the bottom of the plant. These developments both surprise me as I didn't really expect to see anything happen with this plant until much later in the year. If this current rate of growth continues I may actually have a plant of reasonable size by the end of the summer.



Blog-off
Cameron: 15
Neil: 0

No comments: