Saturday, February 28, 2009

Movie Review: Slumdog Millionaire

On Wednesday night Rebecca and I went to see Slumdog Millionaire at the theatre. Cameron was tempted to come, and even cooked indian food for dinner that night (pappadums included).

The theatre we went to has only one screen and a very small concessions and waiting area. We arrived early, at least partially to get good seats, but the previous screening had finished so after we bought our tickets we went for a little walk. When we came back there were lots of people buying tickets and concessions. In an effort to salvage what seats we could, Rebecca went in while I waited for concessions. As it turned out, Rebecca managed to get exactly the seats we wanted.

Many of the previews we saw looked good. We were enjoying the preview of Gran Torino when the film stopped. After a minute or two it started up again only to stop again before the preview
finished. This time it took a little longer, closer to five minutes. I was definitely hoping for a refund and a coupon for a free movie. Unfortunately, everything worked from then on.

As for the movie, I won't spoil the plot like Cameron tells me the Globe and Mail did for some people. I enjoyed the movie. If anything I was assuming there would be more 'disturbing' scenes. I was happy with the amount of english used in the film. There wasn't so much english that it felt unauthentic, but there weren't so many subtitles that I thought it was foreign. I expect the movie to be rented for Cameron at some point and I'll happily watch it again.

2009 Oscar winners seen
Cameron: 0
Neil: 4

No comments: