Saturday, February 28, 2009

Shock and awe

I am continually shocked and awed with the speed at which my scarlet runner beans continue to grow. It seems that each morning when I come out to check on them they have grown by several inches and more leaves have become visible. Actually, they have now grown so much that I don't really know where I should be directing the shoots. I really hadn't imagined that they would reach the ceiling so quickly.

As you might be able to see, I have now tried to get the shoots to grow sideways, across the top of the window, though this clearly isn't a natural growing pattern. I presume that I will have to keep wrapping them around the string if I want them to grow in this direction. The problem I am likely to face what I am going to do with them once they reach the end of the window.

Anyways, this first photo is of the plants on February 25, 2009, just a few days ago.



This photo is of the plants as they are today, February 28, 2009. As you can see, the beans are much more developed than they were just a few days ago. Also, as previously mentioned, some of the shoots have reached the top of window. Several were touching the ceiling until I wrapped them around the guide strings.



This photo might provide a slightly better perspective of some of the bean growth as it relates to them climbing the guide strings. Unfortunately, the location of the window and the resulting light has made it hard for me to take a good photo of the situation (presumably a better photographer than myself wouldn't have such problems).



I really like the way that the beans have of wrapping themselves around the things they are growing along. Originally the beans were wrapping themselves around the string, though as more plants grew, they started wrapping themselves around other been plants. In a few instances there are quite a number of bean stems wrapped together, with a small piece of string at the core of the agglomeration.



Blog-off
Cameron: 35
Neil: 20

No comments: