Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 269

-Today was a pretty standard overcast Winter's day. If I recall correctly, there may have been flurries at various points during the day, but nothing really all that memorable in terms of precipitation (I may write about it on the hinternet, but I certainly wouldn't write home about it).

-Recently I have been noticing that I really haven't been following Nova Scotia affairs all that closely since my move here in the Fall. I attribute most of this to the fact that I don't listen to the local morning news program on CBC (because I don't wake up early enough) and because I don't listen to similar content in the evening, as would be my habit in St. John's. I guess I could also try to do things like read web-based news sources, or the local free daily, but I guess the over-riding point is that I do none of these things, resulting in my ignorance of local affairs.

I mention this not only because such a trend bothers me, but also because tonight, during one of my rare CBC listening experiences, a rumor of a provincial election was discussed briefly. It would be my hope that if an election was called this would force me to finally start following some of the local issues and politics. That being said, I am not really sure how likely an election is as just today I was told by people more familiar with the local political scene that things seem, at least for the time being, relatively stable. On the other hand, it has been a few years since the last election, so maybe we could see one in the near future (obviously I am not in a position to really have any insight on the matter).

-Due to scheduling conflicts it looks as though Neil and I won't manage to get our weekly squash game in this week. Hopefully we will be able to get back on track with the program next week.

-During a brief break from my studies last night I decided to see if I could find a free program that allowed me to take time-lapse videos with my computer's built in camera. After only a few minutes of searching on the Apple site I found a program called Iris that included this option among a variety of camera related features. As you can see below, I have already tried to use the program, though to not particularly great effect. Anyway, though I may not be a proficient user, I am pretty impressed with the programs various features, and the ease with which they can be used.



[Embedded video]

The other feature, aside from the time-lapse feature, that I might try to look into is the webcam feature, though I can't quite imagine why this would be necessary. Though I guess on never knows when it might be nice to be able to have a webcam option available (one might want to broadcast a party they were having so that they could also have virtual guests).

It also seems that they offer a number of ways to modify your standard photo, as seen below. Not sure how necessary these options are, but I guess it can't hurt to have them available to me in case I ever need to be able to generate a distorted black and white image of something.



-Some of the dill, chives, and thyme seeds that I planted a few days ago seem to have started to sprout. In the past I have managed to have good rates of sprouting, but have then been less successful at the next stages of development. Hopefully I will have a little more luck this time around, though I don't know why that would be the case as I haven't really changed all that much with regards to my process or conditions.

Blog-off
Cameron: 6
Neil: 0

No comments: