Sunday, February 15, 2009

The end of the one pagers

For one of my courses this term I have to prepare short papers for each of the first six weeks. Normally we have two topics per week and are supposed to write a page on each. While this doesn't seem like much, and it really isn't, it does take a few hours a week of reading to get through 6-7 assigned readings, which need to take place before I can begin with the writing. Actually, the writing is the fastest part of the process.

A trend that I have noticed as we have progressed through the term is that our papers' margins seem to be getting narrower and narrower. For the paper that I finished tonight the margins are almost non-existent. The result is that I have been able to meet the one page restriction and while being able to include more content. My most recent, and final, paper has really pushed this to the extreme. By manipulating the margin sizes I have managed to fit over 800 words on a single page, a personal best (without resorting to font size changes, or modifications of character spacing).

Though I need to do a little editing before I submit this final paper I already feel as though a weight has been lifted from my chest. The real consequence, instead of meaning a reduction in work, is that I can now devote my energies to working on my term papers and thesis, both of which are likely to be more onerous.

Blog-off
Cameron: 16
Neil: 0

No comments: