Saturday, February 28, 2009

Book Report: Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis

What I suspect is my final reading week triumph is Word Freak. Word Freak is all about Scrabble. Cameron gave it to me for Christmas in 2007, but the copy that was shipped had the first 22 or so pages upside down, backwards and off-center; it was sent back. As a replacement copy would have been sent to our parents' house and I wanted the book in Halifax, it was processed as a refund. The book was not available in local bookstores, so I waited until I had the required dollar amount for an online order with free shipping. I don't recall when I actually got the book.

I started reading the book this week after finally finishing Golden Ratio. Word Freak was a much quicker read. I'd been wanting to read Word Freak since autumn 2007, when I started playing Scrabulous (almost identically like Scrabble). Scrabulous, the Facebook application, was gone and is now back with the new name Lexulous (and different rules and tiles). Reading the book has given me more desire to play Scrabble and associated games, but I'm confident I won't ever become (or even try to become) an expert Scrabble player.

I learned a lot about Scrabble from the book. Previously I had seen two documentary films, Scrabylon and Word Wars, that covered lots of the same people and tournaments as were mentioned in the book. As one might guess, the book was much more detailed. The book also took a very different approach, the author was documenting his journey of becoming an expert Scrabble player. The films were just outside looking in. I retained lots of the images of some of the top Scrabble players and I think that helped me retain information from the book.
Unlike watching a movie based on a novel and then reading the novel, I do not feel that the movies tainted the book.

Most recent Lexulous game
Neil: 449
His Mother: 354

Blog-off
Cameron: 41
Neil: 45

No comments: