Monday, February 23, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 275

-Though we were lead to believe that we were in for a significant rainfall and storm late last night and this morning it didn't really materialize. Aside from a few hours of rain in the middle of the night (according to Environment Canada), we only had a small amount of precipitation during the day. Though we didn't get the promised storm, the day was pretty poor. The skies were overcast and the wind was up for most of the day, though on occasion the sun managed to break through for a few minutes at a time.

-A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had started using Google Reader to check the blogs that I regularly read. I am now just over a month in and am definitely quite impressed with the service. I definitely read a larger number of blogs than I did just a month ago, but I feel as though I spend less time doing it. I get the time saving by checking one location multiple times a day instead of checking a multiple of sites multiple times a day.

A feature that I particularly like, though it doesn't really have to do much with content is the Trends section of Google Reader. Not only can I ascertain how many posts I have read, but I can get a sense of at which time of day the most posts are made, when I read the most posts, and how many people subscribe to particular blogs. I am sure that I blow some of my time savings browsing through this feature each day.

-On a related topic, the blog-off seems to have boosted our readership, or at least made it more consistent. On the other hand, it may have nothing to do with the competitive element of the blog-off, but simply that we are posting more than we have in months. In many instances our posts also contain some form of audio-visual content, a perennial favourite with the childrens.

-Given my recent success with beans and legumes in the pressure cooker I decided to see if I could extend my streak tonight with a lentil and pork stew. Though I didn't really hear much from Rebecca and Neil, I know that I was quite pleased with the outcome. I was also pleased with the corn bread that I made to accompany the meal.

For some reason it seems that I had forgotten about corn bread for a few months until about two weeks ago. Since then I have made it on a number of occasions. Aside from the flavour, one of the things I like about it is that it is both quick to prepare and bake. Additionally, it seems to go well with these moderately spiced stew type things that I have been preparing.

-Neil and da missus is gettin' on da sauce now in a few minutes. Seems one a da b'ys from up to da school' got his missus in town and wants her to meet a few a da b'ys and get on da G.O. da same time. B'y, sounds half good to me, but if dem two comes back sauced der 'ill be werds. B'y, I don't want none a dat behaviour in dis apartment, we lives good and clean around here. Dat being said, I wouldn't half mind going on a tear wit da b'ys meself one a dese days, jayz, b'y, maybe I gets 'er done tomarrah.

Blog-off
Cameron: 28
Neil: 1

No comments: