Friday, February 06, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 270

-We had another pretty nice Winter's day today. It seems that it was at least a few degrees below zero all day with almost no wind or precipitation to make this unpleasant.

-A few days ago I decided that I would bake a few loaves of bread to day. As usual this was a pretty painless process.

As I have this new time-lapse video software I thought I might try to capture the changes that occur while a loaf of bread is baking. Without too much effort I was able to position my computer in front of the oven and capture the event. Once I reviewed the footage I noticed that the oven window was so dirty that it really obscured the view of the bread. So while I ended up getting pretty poor footage, as you can see below, I did end up cleaning the oven window, which I wouldn't have thought about doing otherwise.



[Embedded video]

-While the bread was rising and baking I took care of a few plant related issues. I removed some soil from some papyrus I am trying to grow and also planted a few seeds. Also, I finally got around to repotting a succulent that had outgrown its pot.

Most of the seeds I planted were scarlet runner beans, with the idea that they will be able to climb the rack on which they are growing. I also planted a few water melon seeds (which might be a bit of a stretch), some corn, and chives. While I realize that I am being somewhat over-ambitious for apartment farming, I do like that I am at least trying a few of these things, even if the plants don't end up producing edible fruit.

On a related note, the dill, thyme, and chives I planted a few days ago seem to have started to sprout. This this point they are at about the same point they were when they died in the fall, so I can't yet tell if these will be successful, or if they too will die for no apparent reason in a few days.


Blog-off
Cameron: 7
Neil:0

No comments: