Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can't say that I am too sad

Thanks to the Planet Money blog I just learned that Hummer is going to be wrapped up rather than be sold to a Chinese company. The GM press release suggests that the warranties will be honoured and replacement parts provided.

While I guess I should take GM's word on these matters (as I have no reason not to), I imagine that continuing to provide replacement parts (particularly those specific to Hummers) will be a commitment that might be hard to honour. It seems that it will likely be quite expense for GM to maintain an entire line of replacement parts and appropriately trained mechanics in the face of ever diminishing numbers of Hummers and Hummer owners. I would be curious to know if I am alone in thinking that such a commitment may be hard to live up to, or if others are thinking similar thoughts. As a follow-up, I wonder if Hummers (both new and used) have taken or will take a serious price hit as a result of this announcement?


Blog-off Score

Neil: 0
Cameron: 41

No comments: