Friday, February 05, 2010

New growth

For some reason February seems to be when a number of my plants have decided to go through growth spurts. Some of the most notable growth relates to the tobacco plants, many of which are now much taller and beginning to flower. One plant in particular has quite a number of blooms at the moment, and likely will have a few more in the coming days.



Along with plant and this set of flowers, I suspect that quite a number of other plants will begin to flower in the very near future. While I was originally thinking that this might suggest that this plants would soon die, I am now beginning to think that the new growth associated with suckers at the bottoms of the plants may mean that they will live for a little while longer.

The bay tree is also in the midst of a growth spurt. Both branches, if that is the appropriate term, have buds that have begun to open and develop new leaves.



I suspect that a few more similar buds will begin to open in the coming weeks. I am also hoping that I might get a new shoot at the bottom of the plant, as I did last year, but this might be hoping for a bit more than is reasonable.

The banana plant is continuing to pump out new leaves as well, though they have been getting smaller and smaller for months. The newest of the leaves is the smallest that I have seen on this plant and can't be more than a few inches across and about 3 inches long. Hopefully the pattern that the plant exhibited last year, the leaves got longer as the days got longer, will begin to show itself again.

The other plant/s that seems to be finally taking shape is the papyrus. After a year of slow or no growth, new shoots are starting to pop up on a somewhat regular basis. Maybe more importantly, these new shoots are taller and thicker than some of the older shoots, which is nice. Unfortunately, the shoots are still nowhere near as tall and think as those that my mother has been able to grow (though she does have several years of growth on me).

Blog-off Score

Neil: 0
Cameron: 14

No comments: