Monday, February 01, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 389

-A few days ago I think I welcomed the onset of Winter. It seems that my wish has been granted. It has solidly below freezing for the past few days, and doesn't seem to be ready to let-up anytime soon. Fortunately, so far it is basically as pleasant as I would have expected, though maybe a little chillier than I would like (it is presently -15). Thus far we haven't had much additional snow, though it seems that that too may change in the very near future.

-We managed to pull off a rather impressive Ultimate victory on Saturday. While I believe I scored a point or two and managed to make complete passes for a few more I don't think I can really take much credit for our win. Our friends John and Rebecca were able to sub for us, which was fun (they then came over for dinner afterwards).

-On Friday night, prior to attending the Dal math grad students' once-a-term Martini party, I had Neil give me a quick buzz. This means that I am back to a nice, short, and respectable no. 3 length haircut. In retrospect I probably should have let it grow out and allowed myself to get a regular haircut, but the fact that I could take immediate action was appealing, and, in the end, too powerful and urge to ignore.

-Over the course of the past few weeks I begun to notice that Tom Flanagan is really wailed on by many other Canadian political scientists. It seems that his name acts as a stand-in for the Reform Party/right-wing populism (given his past association with the Reform/Alliance/Conservative Party this is not completely without reason).

Because I was thinking about this topic I did some googling and learned that Flanagan was born and educated in the US. Last year, as the result of a similar process, I learned that F.L (Ted) Morton was also born in the United States. This means that a rather significant chunk of the 'Calgary School' is American in origin, which may help explain why some of the ideas most associated with them give off an American vibe.

-Neil and I are continuing to work away on the chin-up bar. I was able to complete 15 or 16 (I lost count near the end) this evening. At this rate I should be able to claim my rightful place in the not too distant future. I just hope that I can keep this up long enough so that when I head back to St. John's for next Christmas that I will be able to remain the in-person family champion.

Blog-off Score

Neil: 0
Cameron: 3

No comments: