Tuesday, February 02, 2010

How is this possible?

It turns out that some crackers are almost as calorific as junk food?

How can something that seems so insipid actually be a threat to my health and well-being?

I raise this as an issue because last night I happened to eat a box of crackers.

At first I was just going to have a few, which turned into a bowl full. Once I was a bowl into the box it seemed as though finishing the box off wouldn’t be too much of an effort (actually it was almost an obligation at that point as it seemed rude to leave just a few crackers for someone else). So, much to my surprise, I ended up working through a box of crackers with little effort.

This evening I happened to glimpse at the nutritional information on the side of the empty box of crackers and learn that I had consumed approximately 1000 calories in crackers. This came as a bit of a shock as I assumed that I had engaged in some relatively healthy snacking, not in a product that was almost as bad as a chips or candy.

As a consequence of this experience I feel as though crackers have betrayed me. Until now I assumed that they were a relatively safe and good snacking choice. It seems that I was mislead, I might as well eat chips or some other form of fried starch. What a bummer.

Blog-off Score

Neil: 0
Cameron: 7

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Is Montifax going to come out against unhealthy crackers masquerading as healthy snack foods? I just want to be up-to-speed on these matters.

Cameron said...

Definitely.