Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 399

-It seems that the temperature has dipped below freezing, which is about as cold as it has been at any point for the past few days. These relatively low, but not quite always below freezing temperatures are rather annoying and dangerous. Hopefully these temperatures, when combined with the snow we are forecast to get tonight do not result in particularly dangerous conditions tomorrow.

-Though Neil and Rebecca were not here for dinner tonight I decided to make a tomato sauce free cornbread tamale pie (or something like that. The premise of the recipe seemed to be a chili-like (though in this case tomato-free chili) base topped with cornbread. While I was relatively pleased with the meat/bean base, the recipe for cornbread top was somewhat underwhelming. Not only was the batter insufficiently moist to properly spread based on the original recipe (I added enough water to make it functional) I am not sure that it was as tasty a cornbread recipe as the one I normally use. So while I would consider making this again I think that there are a few modifications that I might make based on my experience with the dish tonight.

-Canadian hockey fandom really annoys me. Particularly when a national team is involved this aspect of Canada is really annoying, almost unimaginably infuriating. So many Canadians act as though Canada is the homeland of hockey, yet the sad reality is that we regularly don't do that well and likely can no longer accurately make this claim (if we ever could). The consequence of these feelings is that I really like to see Team Canada lose, particularly on home ice (as they did tonight). This is all the sweeter when the victorious team is a US team, as was the case tonight.

-As I mentioned earlier tonight, I still have a cold and am feeling a little out of it. I can't seem to keep my ideas straight, which is probably a sign that I shouldn't make any more posts tonight.

Blog-off Score

Neil: 0
Cameron: 35

No comments: