Saturday, November 11, 2006

Borat

I can't believe I wasted an otherwise perfectly good coupon to see this movie. I've just returned from the theatre after having seen Borat with Rebecca. A lot of people might disagree with me on this, but this is the worst movie I can remember seeing in the past 5 years.

The theatre was almost sold out, with Rebecca and I just about perfectly in the middle of the crowd; if we had been closer to an aisle we would have left. This movie was crude, offensive and unintelligent.

The highlight of the movie was when Borat arrived in New York and the music playing was the same as when Joe Buck arrived in NYC in Midnight Cowboy, which I did really like, but still (editor's note: Rebecca actually pointed this out to me as it was happening).

I feel like the internet has betrayed me by giving me the impression this movie was worth my time to watch. I'm also pretty disappointed with IMDb's top 250 which has Borat at #149.

2 comments:

Neil said...

I guess I have a bit of a problem with the fact that people weren't in on it. The college guys in the movie are suing for various reasons, claiming they were tricked by the producers. Also, former internet phenom Mahir Cagri ( http://www.istanbul.tc/mahir/mahir/) is suing because his character was stolen. I think I'm not a fan of the movie independently of that (for example I don't like seeing little boys naked), but the lawsuits put a bad taste in my mouth too.

Anonymous said...

That wiki was probably written by Cohen and is just waiting for Mahir Cagri to see it and revise it; given Cameron's feelings about the transient nature of the internet and his not so secret identity as a future librarian, he must really enjoy reading the entries on Wikipedia.

I have a question: how do these people have the nerve to take this to court with the excuse that they thought it would only be seen overseas? I have not seen the film, but if these people said things they are now ashamed of only because it has been released to their peers, then I have a real problem feeling empathy for them.

I am under the impression that Cohen is trying to exhibit the ignorance and bigotry in American society. I do not know if he achieved this or if he even went about it in the right way, but it doesn't seem like he would have gotten anywhere with this project if the people in the film were in on it.