Saturday, November 25, 2006

Pigeon Back Ride


Several times since I moved into my apartment I have been sitting at my desk, which is directly in front of my window, and observed pairs of pigeons behaving as though they weren’t being watched.

The roof of the building opposite seems to be a popular pigeon hangout. What I have observed is that two pigeons will arrive and start to get to know each other. You know, walk around each other and that kind of thing. The relationship then moves onto the “kissing” or more aptly “beaking” phase. The two birds will lock beaks and bob their heads up and down. This may occur a few times, after each beaking session a bit more of the getting to know each other goes on.

Finally, the climax, the pigeon piggy back ride. One of the pigeons will bend down and the other climbs up. This lasts for a few seconds. The upper pigeon then climbs down and they both walk around for a while and then take off.

When I saw this occur for the first time I thought it was pretty strange. Now that I have seen it a few times it is slowly becoming slightly more normal, or at least predictable because the birds have been following similar patterns each time.

No comments: