Monday, November 27, 2006

A Few Quick Notes 25

-Today is the big day for Park Avenue. The issue will be coming up at tonight’s city council meeting. When I last heard the pro-Park side still needed a few votes to prevent the change, hopefully this count has changed since I last heard.

-In class today I learned that the Gazette began as a bilingual paper, something that is rather surprising to its current day readers.

-Last night while reading the McGill Daily I was somewhat surprised by a few comments in an interview. The interviewee, a budding anarchist, seemed to believe that instead of Buy Nothing Day we should have Steal Something Day, that this would be more actively more concretely affect change. Aside from some problems with her other comments this one rather struck me. I am not really sure how stealing something on one particular day, say a bag of chips, is going to send a decipherable message.

-The overcast weather has continued today, though it is not raining.

-Since the new sales begin at the grocery stores today I should probably head out and see if there are any discounted items that would fit into my dietary needs.

-It would seem that both the subscription and hit counter associated with the FeedBurner service are a touch inaccurate, to say the least. At one place it indicates that we have 3 subscribers, 2 of which are by email. It then provides 3 email addresses as the subscriber list. I know that the number of Yahoo subscribers is also off.

The "live hit" count has been off since we signed up. The first few times I visited after creating the account were clearly marked, but since then none of my visits have been recorded, or properly recorded.

-During the last few days of last week I saw McGill crews putting up lights on the Arts building. The columns in the front of the building had a very fancy set up with each perpendicular ridge having a string of lights. As of today they are all gone, no explanation, just gone. One wonders why they would have guys putting those lights up for three days just to take them down one work day after the job had been finished.

-I bought some toiletries today and was quickly reminded how these things quickly add up. A few vitamins, toothbrushes, bottles of shampoo and sticks of anti-perspirant later and I was up over $50. I guess some of this is due to the fact that I always buy personal grooming supplies in sets of at least 3.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Some hit-counters don't count when a person repeatedly comes to the same website. It might count every second or third day that you come to the site, but not every single time.